Listed here are the trademarks or logos of the major U.S. cast iron hollow ware-producing foundries of the late 19th and early to mid-20th centuries.
Trademarks varied from as simple as the name of the city of manufacture in plain, block letters, such as the coveted "Erie" pieces produced by Griswold in the late 1800s, to the more elaborately-styled scripts, logos, symbols, and descriptive markings used by Wagner, Griswold, Martin, Favorite, and others up through the 1950s.
1Heat Ring "Erie" Skillets
2Heat Ring "EPU" Skillets
3Smooth Bottom "EPU" Skillets. The slant logo made an encore appearance on a handful of skillet sizes after the introduction of smooth-bottomed pans, before being replaced by the small block logo.
4The large block logo is seen shrunken to accommodate size restrictions such as small skillets and the undersides of lids.
5During its period of production, the small block logo skillets underwent design changes to the handles, resulting in what are known as the early, late, and late grooved handles.
6The medium block logo is believed to have been a planned replacement for the small block logo, but whose development was possibly cut short by the acquisition of Griswold by Wagner Ware. Information dating it to as early as 1955 has been found.
8Pieces so-marked appear to be from Wagner Sidney O. patterns modified to add the word "Ware" to the trademark.
9This contradicts published sources placing the "pie logo" much earlier, as early as 1915. No pie logo skillet, however, is known without a 4-digit catalog number, which is presumed to have been first used by Wagner ca. 1924. And, with the exception of a few very large sizes, pie logo skillets are of the smooth bottom design generally dated from after 1930.