Although most of the vintage cast iron seen in the collectibles marketplace is of U.S. origin, you will frequently see pieces produced by manufacturers in Canada. The following are the most often seen:
T. Eaton Co. - , (-)
Eaton's was a department store chain who sold various hollowware with their name on it. Markings indicate it was outsourced from foundries like Smart's.
Findlay - Carleton Place, ON (1862-1974)
1862: Findlay Foundry established by David Findlay
1876: After primarily making farm implements, Findlay begins manufacturing stoves
1889: Sons David & William buy the business, renaming company Findlay Bros. (later Findlay Bros. Co., Limited)
1890: Founder David Findlay dies
1932: Company renamed Findlays Limited
1934: Company president David Findlay, Jr. dies and is succeeded by brother William
1944: William Findlay dies and is succeeded by D. Douglas Findlay
1956: D. Douglas Findlay dies and is succeeded by D. Hamilton Findlay
1965: Findlays Limited purchased by Corporation D'Expansion Financiere of Montreal, becoming part of the Corpex Group
1974: Foundry is closed after 110 years in operation
Some Findlay pieces are seen with Lisser or Smart's ghost marks.
General Steel Wares (GSW) - Toronto, ON (1927-)
Formed in 1927 by the merger of McClary's and five other manufacturing companies
Javelin - Joliette, QC (1949-)
1949: John C. Doyle (1915-2000) purchases Canadian Javelin Foundries and Machine Works
1951: Company reorganized as Canadian Javelin Limited
L'Islet - L’Islet, QC (1856-1878)
1856: L’Islet Ironworks established
1863: John McDougall (1805-1870) purchases L’Islet
1878: Foundry closed by McDougall heirs
Lisser - , (-)
Little information is available on Lisser. Skillets are of smooth bottom design, suggesting manufacture after early-1900s.
McClary Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (McClary's) - London, ON (1851-)
1851: Founded by brothers John (1829-1921) and Oliver McClary as "J. & O. McClary"
1871: Joint stock company formed as McClary Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
1927: Joined in confederation of six companies to form GSW
James Smart Mfg. Co. (Diamond G) - Brockville, ON (1854-1965)
1854: James Smart opens his Novelty Works
1860: Foundry established
1880: John McLeod Gill and Robert Gill join the business
1881: Business incorporated as the James Smart Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
1886: Took over Smart & Shepherd, a rival operated by Smart's nephews
188?: The Gills acquire controlling interest, eventually forcing out Smart
1893: Purchased the Chown & Cunningham foundry in nearby Kingston
1912: Canada Foundries and Forgings acquires James Smart Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
1965: Company closed
Gardiner Tool of Montreal was acquired by Smart in the late 1890s, its G in a diamond logo retained and used for its positive brand recognition. There are pieces seen marked Favorite C&C with a G in a diamond added which appear to be related to the Chown & Cunningham acquisition. The company TM would later include a larger G in a diamond. Subsequently, the TM would change from block "SMART" and large Diamond G in a circle to a modern-styled "Smart's" with a smaller G in diamond.