Unusual Wagner Drip Drop #7 Skillet Cover Knob, a fake?

Y. Short

This skillet cover showed up at our annual Mt. Forum for Peace non profit yard sale without a skillet bottom. I've scoured the internet to find out if it's authentic or not due to what looks like a nickle knob instead of the usual strap iron handle. I saw *one* picture of another cover like it online in a huge group of photos that might have been linked to Pinterest or Etsy but there wasn't any thread to follow just a single pic. among many others, it had been labeled something like "odd Wagner lid knob."
If anyone has knowledge about it or advice of where to look next I'd appreciate it. I'm doubtful it's authentic as there isn't any info on it but it looks old in that its underside is caked with "use" and obscures any writing I know is there underneath. It weighs 3lb. 11.2 oz and measures just shy of 10 .5" from wider lip edge to other lip edge when turned upside down. Hope the pics. come through.
Many thanks for your help!
yvonneIMG_2049.jpgIMG_2050.jpgIMG_2051.jpg

For whatever reason, a Wagner lid with this knob is known as a "whistle top" lid. The knob is more commonly associated with an earlier style Wagner lid without the raised lettering, so this may represent a transition period piece. This style lid is more commonly seen with a cast-in loop style handle.

My response to the naming of this type of knob is entirely conjecture and just because I am putting it out on the internet, doesn't mean it has even a modicum of truth: The shape of the knob is similar to devices fitted onto whistling tea kettles.

1654785909836.png

For whatever reason, a Wagner lid with this knob is known as a "whistle top" lid. The knob is more commonly associated with an earlier style Wagner lid without the raised lettering, so this may represent a transition period piece. This style lid is more commonly seen with a cast-in loop style handle.
Thanks very much Doug, that's encouraging to hear. I'll do some more searching with that info. Do you have any recommendations for a cast iron appraiser?
yvonne

My response to the naming of this type of knob is entirely conjecture and just because I am putting it out on the internet, doesn't mean it has even a modicum of truth: The shape of the knob is similar to devices fitted onto whistling tea kettles.

View attachment 7563
I can see the association and the triangular opening of the skillet knob gives it a whistle look. Not to worry, I won't put your observation out as fact, but I appreciate it.
yvonne

Do you have any recommendations for a cast iron appraiser?
The usual advice is to look at eBay "sold" listings for comparable items. Those values will often be on the high side, and not what one would typically expect to pay at a non-profit yard sale.

Thanks to your whistle top reference I found an interesting thread on the WAGS forum (accessed from an online link) giving a link for the 1920 patent of B. Wagner's inner zig-zag "basting" invention for culinary use, it pictures the knob from photo above although the profile is a bit different; https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/6e/08/58/20cc5ca4bbbb35/US1409262.pdf

The usual advice is to look at eBay "sold" listings for comparable items. Those values will often be on the high side, and not what one would typically expect to pay at a non-profit yard sale.
Thank you,
We're familiar with that handy tip but couldn't find anything with this particular knob on this cover style. Our group is willing to sell more valuable pieces online if it's worth it.
That is the lid profile the knob is most often seen on, dubbed a "turtle top" lid.

For that and more CI related patents see: https://www.castironcollector.com/patents.php
Thanks!

Back