Used & Abused Pitted Wagner flat bottom?

Gary W

Found this after a long search on the bottom of miscellaneous pots and pans at the local Valley Thrift (a Goodwill on steroids). as most markings are on the bottom, I focused on those. On top of the handle is a recessed, symmetrical 8. On the underside is the 10 1/2 Inch Skillet - Made in USA - H. Handle is flat. Another H is on the bottom of the handle. The wall sides seem thin as the skillet is lighter than others I've lifted. Can the pits be removed by sanding or it this example toast?

It looks a lot like the flat bottom unmarked Wagner example except for the Made in USA and the H. The Valley Thrift is in Dayton Ohio just about 67 miles south of Sidney so it might have come from there.

Sidenote: I resized the pics to 400x^xx pixels to try the inline posting. A site I like is POSTIMAGES.org. No limits. No deletions. NO account is necessary. I posted an image of the codes it makes. I have no idea of which one to use. Direct, eMail. Full link? The site would like a reference but not sure how to add a link or if that would work.
Thanks to everyone for your help - all of us is smarter than each of us, especially me!:).

Attachments

• BOTTOM-FULL.jpg
    BOTTOM-FULL.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 8-TOP.jpg
    8-TOP.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BOTTOM-TEXT-H.jpg
    BOTTOM-TEXT-H.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15
  • HANDLE-side.jpg
    HANDLE-side.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 16
  • PITTS-cu.jpg
    PITTS-cu.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 18
By the time this pan was made, operations were largely in Cincinnati, and it could have been sold labeled either Wagner or Griswold.. Any measures taken re: the pitting would be a waste of time.

Thank you for the fast response! About what years did they cast in Cincy? Must have been a long time ago to have developed those pits. So, it's pretty much worthless?

Moist dirt will pit cast iron fairly quick. Use it for a parts pan etc. Might want to do something with that long handle though.

Dirt? That explains a lot. One use, I'm taking it in my left hand and knocking myself into next week. I had great hopes for that piece of coal that could a been a diamond. Oh well - the hunt continues.

I wouldn't call it worthless. Maybe not much collector value left but you could still cook in it despite the pitting.

I wouldn't call it worthless. Maybe not much collector value left but you could still cook in it despite the pitLoo
Thank you for your advice! The skillet is a bit gnarly. I was thinking maybe to cover an outdoor grill grate, lined with foil so fish wouldn't fall apart into the ashes. Might it be ground down or is there not enough iron, the bottom is less pitted?

Back