"Erie" 738 Griddle and Griswold 2980 Variation 1

Interesting griddle Lee.
I have the same one, but the number 8 is on the bottom of your handle and not mine. I will send in a photo if you are interested.

The first ERIE handle griddles had the number on the bottom of the handle and no pattern number. It looks like the No8 in your photo is the same but a bit later with a p/n.

The plett pan looks like a recast or left in acid too long maybe. It's WAY coarser than any I have had.

You will find the no pattern number ERIE griddles in sizes 7-10 which I have since these are my all time favorite handle griddles. Sold all the rest. Sometime after mine I think Griswold added a No.6 as it is in the 1890-91 Griswold catalog. 1883 catalog only shows 7-10. Who knows, maybe the later no p/n griddles were made with the 6 added.

How odd, Jeffrey! My pattern number is in between where your p/n and size are.

Steve: my size number is on the underside of the handle.

Lee, Looking at the BB, there is a No. 6 and is dated circa 1885 - 1905. My griddle does not have the No. before the 8. Their might be a slight variation in the marking. But from what I have read and what Steve Stephens is saying that they added the No. 6 griddle later. I am not sure if they added the NO. to the # 7,8,9 griddles at a later date. The BB does not show a #10, as Steve Stephens knows best.

The first variation would have the # on the underside handle but no P/N

The second variation would have the different number on the handle like yours with the P/N added

The third variation would have the number on the bottom with the P/N, like mine

I am using the word variation, just to show the different markings, not griddles. I believe all the griddles were of the same style / variation.

Note: The BB does not show a #10, also from Steve writes, 1883 catalog only shows 7-10. The BB dates from 1885 - 1905

This is the best information I have at this point. So if I am not 100% let me know, need to feed the brain.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Lee, Here is a little eye candy for you #10 Erie griddle.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3159#post3159

There definitely is a No.10 Erie handle griddle and probably made from the start of griddles which was at least by 1883. No p/n of course before about 1891 or 92. The 6 griddle was added sometime between 1883 and 1891 catalogs. First griddles had no p/n and number under the handle, later I see the p/n was added to the early style of griddles then it looks like the number was moved from under handle to under griddle and with a "No." I don't have any handle griddles after my early set so don't know all that much about them. I got a few of the early pans and love the earliest of ERIE pieces. Then I was able to complete my set of 7-10 and didn't need or want any other handle griddles. I do use mine occasionally.

In the post above your last one Steve, there is a link to a #10 from John C.
It just does not show in the BB.

Did you ever get yourself the #6?

Is there not a way to edit my posts Doug?
Edit: I see an Edit button on this post but not the one I made at 8:47 pacific time today. Does the Edit button go away after a short time????

The last post I said the ERIE griddles evolved to have a "No.8" etc. on the bottom but it looks like just the size number and not the "No." before the size.

Jeffrey, I never came across a 6 ERIE griddle with no pattern number and want to keep my set with no patterns. I thought the 6 was a slightly later style with p/n but maybe not. They are rare enough with any markings plus not too usable for most people. Since the 1883 catalog only shows 7-10 I am happy staying with those plus I am not trying to collect any more but sell to downsize so I don't leave a big heavy iron "problem" for my family some day.

The first variation would have the # on the underside handle but no P/N

The second variation would have the different number on the handle like yours with the P/N added

The third variation would have the number on the bottom with the P/N, like mine

I am using the word variation, just to show the different markings, not griddles. I believe all the griddles were of the same style / variation.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Lee, It just shows you that there is so much information to this cast iron collecting.

Steve Thank you, You are making a cast iron hoarder out of the wife. You wrote about the chrome & nickel cast iron, now the wife wants all the Griswold chrome also I cannot sell my #8 Erie griddle. She has not seen your 201 yet.:icon_thumbsup:

Back