Using a chicken fryer

JKress

Hi everyone,

Three chicken fryers have found their way into my collection this year... Vollrath, Iron Mountain and Red Mountain. Love them!

I am curious if the lid is suppose to be used while cooking? I have pan fried food plenty of times but have never used a lid while actually cooking. I can see the lid retaining heat and reducing spatter but it seems like moisture would accumulate under the lid and drip back into the hot grease.

Believe it or not, but an initial google search did not yield any good info. Thank you.

I love Chicken Fryers! I use one about once a week. I use mine on the stove and in the oven. I dont have a lid for any of mine, but I probably wouldnt use them anyways unless I was trying to keep my cats out of the food, lol....I cook burgers, chicken, keilbalsa, and we use it to make what we call a sloppy joe bake. Its burger fried up, and the bottom of the chicken fryer is lined with tater tots. Then you add the meat mixed with the sauce, and cheese, then cover with more tater tots. Then bake it. No lid required again. With burgers it helps with the grease shooting everywhere. I learned that on here from someone. You can use them for any dish you want to be a little deeper.

For deep frying, covering while cooking would be inadvisable. Chicken fryers/deep skillets with covers were also marketed as being useful as oven roasters/dutch ovens.

Im sorry, I think I have a newer Lodge with a lid. It should fit any #8 at least some....ill have to try it now. lol

Thank you Sean and Doug for your thoughts. The sloppy joe bake sounds like it is worth a try.

I enjoy using a chicken fryer as deep skillet or dutch oven with the lid just have never tried shallow frying with the lid on. I appreciate it. (y)

Back