Unmarked Gem Pans

Pat H

I found two of these "gem pans" at an estate sale this week and took a chance and bought them. I need help identifying them if possible. I just took them out of the lye and have not seasoned them yet. They do not have markings that I can find.

Any ideas what I have found? Any value?

View attachment 105

View attachment 106

Last edited:
The NES (New England Style) roll pan was a design made by several makers, both known and unknown. Are these actually iron? They almost look like aluminum in the photos.

Yes, they are cast iron. I just finished scrubbing them from the lye bath and have not yet seasoned them.

Is there anyway to tell who made them and if they have any value? Also, any idea on how old they are?

With no markings, and the presence of gatemarks on the bottoms, it would tend to indicate a smaller, non-name brand maker or an individual. Since this was a more or less generic design at the time, it's anyone's guess. Note how both pans are essentially identical, except for the hang holes and the cut-out frame of the one. Older Erie NES pans at least have a "No. 11" or the p/n 950 on them. Even an otherwise unmarked Wagner would likely have a "D" on it. Value would be in the $10-15 range, I would think. Griswold made this style of pan from the 1880s to the 1950s, so quite a span on the dating.

Back