unidentified pan

KevM

hello all I have a pan that I can not find anything on pretty fancy handle, a gate with 18 and 3 nubs on the bottom. any help would be great cause I can not find anything

Very interesting. You've just stepped in the the "Steve Stephens Zone". Pans like these are a specialty of his. When he stops in next, I'm sure he'll weigh in.

Did you refurb it, or did you receive it like that?

You have one of the truly great early fancy skillets that is not often found. I think I have had maybe three of them and seen a few others. My smallest is a 5 6 meaning it is either or both sizes. As with almost all early unmarked pans the maker will probably remain unknown. The problem is that few catalogs showing these pans exist and the ones of the era that do use ILLUSTRATIONS instead of photographs. Those illustrations only give a rough idea of what the pans actually looked like. Since we can't match up skillets and other pieces with catalogs that we don't have the pans are mysteries but very nice ones to use and enjoy. I would date your pan in the c.1845-70 period as a guess.

Back