Raise Register and Cereals Will Never Burn Info Needed

Blake Awbrey

I just found in the shed and put into the electrolysis tank a 6-3/4" diameter cast iron stove register that reads "Raise Register and Cereals Will Never Burn". There is surprisingly little information about this piece on the web. I found one site that stated it was from a Sears & Roebuck Co. Stove but that doesn't tell me who made the stove or the register and an ended eBay auction for an 8" version that sold for $58.75.

I would really appreciate any information as to maker, date, rarity and/or value. I have over 300 books on antiques and collectibles but I'm fairly new to cast iron and apart from a Kitchen Collectibles Guide and a Griswold & Wagner book just don't have much in the way of reference materials.

Any information would truly help. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Blake Awbrey

I've seen another one similar to it which reads "TURN THIS COVER TO RAISE IT AND PREVENT CEREALS FROM BURNING". I would guess it was just a commonplace accessory some stove makers provided for the purpose stated on them, kind of like a brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner. Narrowing down an exact maker or brand may be difficult.

Dear Doug,
I've quickly come to realize two things having to do with cast iron collecting. First, having an electrolysis tank is like having a pickup truck; you suddenly gain a bunch of new friends who would like to borrow it or have you help them. And second I need more reference material on cast iron. Are there any books you would recommend?

Yours, Blake

The first three books on this page, http://www.castironcollector.com/resources.php , are considered the "must haves" for any collector. If you wish to get them one at a time, I would suggest buying them in the order they are presented on the page. Any published guides, however, will be mostly confined to brand name maker production ca. 1880 to 1957.

Back