Porcelain

John C.

Just saw for sale a scalloped bottom Lodge shallow skillet with assist tab.Never saw one of these before.Bad news is it is porcelain coated and the porcelain is chipped in the cooking surface.Is there any way to remove porcelain without damage to the iron? Would really like to own it if there is. Thanks for any help.

A slow but proven (by me on a Favorite No.1 skillets) way is to chip the porcelain little by little off the pan. I used a car bogyman's "pick" hammer; the pick end. A slow process but the skillet I did came out very nicely.

I have a dealer in the area who has one without the porcelain. I think she wants $40 for it. I will try to attach pictures of it.
It you want it I will put you in touch with her

Apparently the file is too big - I can't past it here.

Anyway, here is a link that (if it is working) will take you to the skillet. This is a deep skillet and has the correct lid.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid=5878291515427158418&oid=118392149433464426705

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I was trying to send you an entire album in that last post. It only sent one photo. This link should show the bottom and the inside of the lid. If this doesn't work and you are interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send you all the photos I have of it.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...5878291543202530290&oid=118392149433464426705

Jack

Thanks a lot Steve and Jack.Steve, I thought I had read on another forum where someone had done this but never could find it.They have this shallow skillet priced ten dollars.Going back for it later this week.Jack,I think the piece in your photo is part of a combination cooker.I saw one of these recently that had several pieces to it.Thanks for your kind offer to help.

Of the scalloped Lodge pieces, I have seen a deep skillet, a shallow skillet, and dutch ovens both with and without pour spouts, the DOs having coil assist handles attached to the assist tabs. The shallow skillets look like they might serve with the deep skillets and lids as a combo cooker, but I have never seen them assembled to know for sure if they fit. In all cases, the lids I have seen with them were regular Lodge lids.

The set I saw was 3 pieces like the Johnson combo cooker,a straight sided kettle and lid that was marked 4-4 qt on the underside.A total of 5.No camera at the time.The photo that Jack posted shows the heavy flange on the section that drops into the larger bottom.I don't think the porcelain skillet has the lip to make it a lid.If I get it I will post a photo.

Same here-- the shallow skillets did not appear to function as lids, like on a 4-in-1 set. The handles didn't look like they would allow it to work in that fashion, either.

Went back and looked at the shallow skillet again.Decided to leave it Looks like to much chipping on that large a piece.Not a total loss as I bought a Griswold small logo deep skillet #777 that looks like it might clean up nice.Right now my lye is frozen over.

A slow but proven (by me on a Favorite No.1 skillets) way is to chip the porcelain little by little off the pan. I used a car bogyman's "pick" hammer; the pick end. A slow process but the skillet I did came out very nicely.
Would you mind to post the picture?.. I just bought one with the same issue and would like to see what it looks like. Thanks

A response is doubtful. The post is nearly a decade old, and the member hasn't been seen since 2018 (unfortunately).

Back