Out shopping. Griswold meat grinder?

SpurgeonH

Hey guys, I just saw this in a shop and wondered if it was worth having. It's very heavy, so I'm assuming it is plated cast iron? And is it real? The Griswold logo is kinda rough. Maybe post-buyout?

They were popular enough to have been made for quite some time. I don't have a BB or RB here to refer to. If it's complete enough to be functional, undamaged, and priced right it might be worth getting. I wouldn't spend over $20; less would be better.

Does it have the knife? It is useless without one. I don't know how easy or difficult it may to find one of those. Of course, you may just want it as a collectible or display piece in which case I reckon it doesn't matter. If you do intend to use it, hand cranked meat grinders will give you a work out! (That's why I use my old Hobart made Kitchenaid mixer with the grinder attachment to make sausage. I can't imagine having to hand grind a Boston butt or two.)

That one is only a No. 2, which is only good for grinding weenies and bologna. If you have a pork butt to grind, you need a No. 32.

I use one about that size to grind chuck roast or sirloin with a course plate (3/8") It is a lot better than the packaged stuff in the market. I also make homemade pimiento cheese, I grind my cheese with pimientos and either pickles or green olives with a fine plate(1/8") Then fold in the mayo. I like the texture and evenness better than a food processor.

Back