Newbie 3-Notch Lodge Date Question

Leonard Temple

I'm new to the fine art of Cast Iron Collecting... I have several Skillets, Fryers& Dutch Ovens... but I can't seem to get consistant answers as to the manufacturing dates on unmarked 3-notch Lodge Skillets. I have a few (one pictured) but I'm finding manufacturing date ranges all over the place! I'm relying on you guys to set the record straight.... IMG_8112-sm.jpgIMG_8113-sm.jpg

I've not seen that version before, and would be interested to know the source. Some of it seems self-contradictory to me, maybe just how I'm reading it. My understanding has always been the 3-notch with the shift identifier blob at 12 o'clock are late 1940s to early 1950s. This pan appears to be made using automated methods (thick walls, small pour lips), which Lodge first used in 1950 (not the DISA they implemented in 1965).

I found these online several years ago when I started collecting. I'm almost positive they were from two different sources, but I can not recall exactly where online that I found them. Although they may not be entirely accurate, they were helpful to me early on.

The notion that shift blob and SK skillets, or SK skillets and large egg logo skillets were marketed simultaneously is what stands out. Never heard that before. My information, from a Lodge collector who has unfortunately since passed away, has always been that large egg logo didn't start until 1987.

The longer list says, "1965-1992 that's when they put SK, DO, Etc. the beginning of disa" The 1965 part I agree with. But then goes on to say, "The blob with a shift number runs those same years." I do not recall ever seeing any SK skillet with a shift blob.

Edit: I went through my photo archive and found a few 7SKs with blobs. None with "Made In USA", though, which I would think would have started ca. 1965.

Unfortunately creating more questions than answers for the OP.

The notion that shift blob and SK skillets, or SK skillets and large egg logo skillets were marketed simultaneously is what stands out. Never heard that before. My information, from a Lodge collector who has unfortunately since passed away, has always been that large egg logo didn't start until 1987.

The longer list says, "1965-1992 that's when they put SK, DO, Etc. the beginning of disa" The 1965 part I agree with. But then goes on to say, "The blob with a shift number runs those same years." I do not recall ever seeing any SK skillet with a shift blob.

Edit: I went through my photo archive and found a few 7SKs with blobs. None with "Made In USA", though, which I would think would have started ca. 1965.

Unfortunately creating more questions than answers for the OP.

That's my confusion as well.... Hopefully we'll both get some defining answers to this delima.....

If the correct timeline is that the shift blobs ran from late '40s to early '50s and the SK designators started in the early '50s, it's entirely possible there was some overlap. I don't see the 7 SK with a shift blob as precluding the timeline as outlined in the homepage dropdown menu "Cast Iron Collecting", submenu, "Identifying unmarked iron". I'd even go so far as to say that the 7 SK with a shift blob strongly supports this timeline.

Back