Need Info on "PPS 10" Iron Skillet

ErnieG

I have an iron skillet that appears to be very old and the only markings are "PPS 10" on the top of the handle. It measure 11 3/4" in diameter and has no heat ring. Top edge has a lip that would hold a lid or insert. Any ideas on what this might be ?
Thanks

Those are seen also in a #11, and both with and without a pouring lip. Not much is known other than they are considered to be from the mid 1800s. The rim around the top would almost tend to imply that a lid was used with them, or that they themselves could be used as a lid for another vessel, in the way later double skillets were, but cast skillet lids were not typical of that era. The ones I have seen, being gatemarked with no heat ring, look like they would be a bit wobbly, but the tops and insides appear to be fine, smooth castings.

I have a PPS 10 with a lot of wear on the smooth bottom. Also had a PPS 12 and have seen the 11s. I don't know if smaller ones were made and have always wondered what that PPS stands for.

I have seen other skillets and I think there is a griddle on ebay now or recently with the same handle but no markings on the top of it. One I have has a strong heat rim and is boldly marked on the bottom A. H. W. & CO PITTS PA No 9. From the top the skillet is identical to the PPS ones but with no markings on top. If a cover was intended to be used on these skillets I would tend to think that it would have been a tin cover. These are wonderful skillets and I have used mine on occasion. The PPS 12 I sold recently was the largest early skillet I have seen.

I have not seen this style of skillet with a pouring lip.

Thanks Doug, that is the first that I have seen. Maybe a later model or optional pouring lip? How much smaller than the PPS 10 did these PPS skillets go?

Not sure. I have only ever seen a #10, and a #11 that did not say PPS on it, but was obviously the same maker.

Back