Lead contamination

CraigA.

I recently soaked a 19th century mortar and pestle in my lye bath. Afterwards I became suspicious and tested for lead on the inside surface. Test was positive.
My question is, is my lye bath now contaminated and in need of disposal? And if so, how?

I would err on the side of caution and start over. Unless you're on a septic tank, the used lye solution can be flushed down a household drain without issue.

Quick update.
The first lead tests I used were sketchy at best and the positive results were questionable. Twice. But I trusted them. And then I didn't.
Ordered some new test swabs from Amazon. I got four negative tests in a row. Still not comfortable, I tested a lead fishing weight and quickly got a very positive result. So, I'm pretty sure that everything is OK.
Thanks, Doug, for your advice but it seems I have nothing to worry about.

I've seen a few kettles in local antique malls that I didn't buy due to questionable residue. I have a small no-name skillet that I know was used to melt lead weights to compare to. It was given to me by a friend in the late 70s who used it to make ballast weights. Then I used it in the early 80s to make ballast weights.

Never used the lead test but have new one purchased from Amazon. In order to be accurate, it seems to me the test should be done on the bare cast iron and not on any crud or seasoning? Unless I missed this some place I have not seen where it was mentioned either way.

Back