Is this Favorite Piqua too damaged?

EdC

So this thing was only $10, so I figured I'd give it a chance cleaning it up. However, at the time, I didn't know about the pinkish heat damage that I needed to avoid.

It came like this:
IMG_0635_mod.jpg
Image_20230421_142942_716_mod.jpeg

After some Lye and some 50:50 vinegar baths, I got it to look like this:

Image_20230421_142943_327_mod.jpeg
Image_20230421_142945_627_mod.jpeg

So in that very first picture (before cleaning it up), there is some debris... almost looks like bird poop that was sitting in it. After cleaning it up, it left a strange discoloration... here's a closeup:

Image_20230421_142944_271_mod.jpeg

Anything suspicious about this? Like lead or anything? When looking at the original photo, it just looks like a dirty spot and nothing particularly suspicious.

Is there any hope in this piece as anything other than decorative? I'm guessing too much damage done to the iron with the heat damage as there is still quite a bit of the red/pinkness.

Thanks for taking a look!

I don't think it's lead. I bet an electrolysis bath would make get that down to a good bare metal. Then, a few coats of season and it'll be nice.

(Or you could try the oven cleaner method).

I agree....I think the bird poop just ate thru the seasoning. I would strip it down, and see what you got. Its worth the shot to try it. It may clean up well.

Thanks for the responses!

So the first two photos was before cleaning up. However, the latter photos shows the skillet after a thorough lye bath and a few short sessions in vinegar and a LOT of scrubbing. So it's already down to the bare metal, but still shows some discoloration (the reddish heat damage, and blotchiness in the metal). But I do think it's about as clean as I can get it.

True, I should try that. I don’t have a setup yet but if I have more pieces to restore, I will try to get an electrolysis setup going!

True, I should try that. I don’t have a setup yet but if I have more pieces to restore, I will try to get an electrolysis setup going!
If you can find scrap Stainless Steel it is much cleaner and easier to work with. Just a suggestion.

That will be a nice skillet if you can get it cleaned up. Hope you will post an "after" shot when finished.

Back