How often should I change the water in my electrolysis tank

D George

So I had done a small pan that outwardly looked very clean. I had used Easy Off on it a few times and scrubbed, but it had rust pits that would not come out. So I ventured into electrolysis and WOW was there a ton of unseen crud that came off! So now I have a large roasting pan that I am doing and wondering if I should change the water. It is hazy and red.
IMG_4198.jpg

I have a 15-gallon E-tank and have run about 15 items through it. Just changed it the other day but I do skim as much of the foam, etc. off the top with a plastic spoon. The rust will settle to the bottom during nonuse and the water will clear up some.

Change it when your anodes need cleaning or just do as RJ stated skim off the foam etc. from the top if everything is working.
As for myself I am running a 45 gal. SS barrel with lye as my electrolyte, so I am going to run it as long as I can. I am running up on 2 years since I changed it. Every once in a while I will stir up the tank of any sediment and skin it off with an old kitchen screen strainer. Works for me.

Back