Help Identifying Lodge Skillet

J. Thomas

Hi All:

First, I am new to cast iron collection and new to this site. I hope this is posted correctly.

I recently bought an unmarked #5 skillet that I believe to be a Lodge. It has the typical Lodge identifiers: 3 notches in the heat ring, large 5 at 12, and tear drop handle. . However, it has some identifiers that I have not seen to be typical: an L at 6 and a 2 on the bottom of the handle. I have attached photos. The cooking surface is completely smooth if that matters. Is this a Lodge and when could it have been made?

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 16
It's Lodge. The small pour lips and lack of "Made In USA" or "SK" under the 5 likely place it mid to late 1950s. The stray marks like the 2 and the L are something to do with quality control tracking of defective patterns, but don't really relate to any more granular dating.

Welcome to the Forums! Youll have more than one skillet before ya know it......its addicting!

I am now realizing that. I am glad I have this one to see how different the finish is between that and my 2 year old 14 inch skillet from Lodge. I plan to go to my local flee market to see if I can find other good ones.

Back