Griswold handle markings

I am trying to put together a set of the slant block Erie skillets and noticed some of the handles have a number designation and some do not. Should I be concerned about this or should they all have numbers or all not?

Dave, the early slant TM skillets did not have a number on top of the handle while the later ones did. I think it looks nice to have a matched set but your food will not know the difference. Maybe pick up what you find at first then look for similar ones with or without the size number on the handle. Or, as I am likely to do, collect a set of each because you don't know which one you will be able to complete.

Since blocks don't slant I save the term "Block TM" for the large TM with the "blocky style" of writing (all straight up and down). The Slant TM is just that and not a block TM or slant block TM.

However, collectors and dealers and book authors made up these terms, not Griswold, so I guess you use what you are comfortable with.

Thanks Steve, I guess I meant block "Erie" not an EPU for example. I've strung together a few of the pans in a series the noticed the handle markings.

Thanks Steve, I guess I meant block "Erie" not an EPU for example. I've strung together a few of the pans in a series the noticed the handle markings.
Pretty sure you mean "Slant Erie". The "slant" logo with just "ERIE" preceded the "Slant EPU" (slant logo with ERIE, PA, USA), followed by the "Large Block" logo or "LBL", which only ever had ERIE, PA, USA beneath.

Correct, the slant Erie is the set I am trying to put together, I didnt however realize that that some of the slant Erie have a number designation on the handle and some do not.

It looks like the non numbered pans are earlier than the numbered ones, does that sound right?

Back