Griswold dutch oven top

Hi, I have a nice top. I would like to find the matching bottom. I have seem many pots but it looks like there are three different types. I have the red book but it isn't clear which bottom goes with it. Let me know what you think.

One could assume that a Slant EPU marked lid would have been supplied with a similarly marked oven, however, mixed logo sets have been attested to by those who have had ovens passed down by family. It would depend on how closely the Slant EPU pots and the lid patterns were changed to Large Block. It is also known that, if there were large orders to be filled, sometimes patterns with obsolete markings would be put to use. If you want a true match to this lid, however, you would be looking for:

The BB shows this marking; the RB does not.

I think you would want to find a Tite-Top Dutch oven for your No.8 cover. I doubt that Baster and Dutch Oven parts were mixed but slant and block TMs were mixed.

The patent date on an angle is unique to some of the No.7 pots and maybe some No.6s (can't remember) but not made on larger than a 7 as far as I remember. A block TM Dutch Oven with the ground gates around the lower sides of the pot is probably what went with your cover.

Steve, your thoughts on this lid having the dutch oven designation, but with the applied handle? Those who must rely on that which is portrayed in the BB and RB must certainly be perplexed by what they encounter in the wild that doesn't conform to what they read. Can we also therefore assume that a lid with slant EPU markings and the dutch oven designation on top is unusual, and, if so, in what sense?

Ok, I don't think I am going for the TT baster, I feel like the TTDO will be a better match, it doesn't appear that there is a hard and fast rule for either matching top and bottom but it looks to me that I should be looking for, what I would call, a fully marked DO bottom with

"the griswold mfg co." over the top and the trademark on the around the bottom. Thanks for your help, it is interesting that the #7 and possibly the #6 have the angled patent date. I would like to see one of those one day. I really like the smaller DO's for what ever reason.

Back