Griswold DuoChrome finish and seasoning/cooking with same

SDodson

Greetings -

Anyone out there regularly use a Griswold pan that has the DuoChrome finish?

Are they seasoned the same as regular cast iron?

Thanks in advance,
Steve D.

p.s. Does this finish make these pans more/less collectible? I haven't been able to find much info about the nickle/chrome plating items.

I suppose when new, it would be cook's choice whether to allow seasoning to build up or to clean every time. We can observe, though, that the plating on the cooking surfaces wore off over time, so seasoning the bare iron areas (or allowing seasoning to build up) would probably have been the norm.

Plated pieces are more valuable as a collectible than bare iron only if the plating is intact, i.e. NOS.

How often does NOS show up?

I have an "Oklahoma" Lodge Commemorative skillet that I bought just to have but foolishly threw away the paper that came with it. :(

If it was me, Id season the bare spots, and lightly hit the chrome with the rag that Im using.

I've got a DuoChrome number 3 that I use most every morning for making eggs.
It's seasoned the same as the other pans, aside from the fact that I only season the inner cooking surface of the pan so the rest stays chrome.

Every year or two (or sooner if I have a particularly bad spill or somehow the outside gets dirtier than I would like) I'll hit the outside, top lip, and handle with Barkeeper's Friend to keep that outside shiny! All things considered, I'm pretty chill about it though, I really don't mind my pans looking used. Especially my All-Clad!

Back