Family Heirloom

S_Lohr

I have a skillet passed down to me from my mother. It goes back to my grandmother or earlier in her family. If grandmother, it would be early 20th century. It is heavy like cast iron, but has a shiny surface on the side. It has ERIE on the back, handle side with a number that might be 713. Also the back has two concentric circles with a large cross in the middle. Is it cast iron or something else?

Should be Griswold, but the Griswold pattern number 713 is associated with an oval griddle. Really need a photo to see what you're talking about in terms of appearance.

Definitely plated. Although dirty chrome can tend to have the warmer look of nickel. Hard to read numbers, but appears to be a #9 with marking style called "slant Erie". Once cleaned, you'll see the logo with an italicized lettering. Some HD Easy Off and a trash bag will probably clean it right up. See:

http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

Thanks. You answered my next question as well - whether it could be cleaned according to the instructions on your website. Will do so and post new pictures when done.

The slant logo #9 skillet number is 710.

The slant logo #9 extra deep skillet number is 733.

The picture looks like it shows 710.

Posting pictures of the skillet after it is mostly clean. The markings on the back are clear now. It is a 710 F with Griswold in slant letters. The shiny finish (chrome?) is worn off in places. The inside is gray. Would that have been the original finish? I will be spraying it again to get the remaining grudge off the interior and the logo.

http://imgur.com/a/Amhdv

The plating has worn off the inside and the logo, or heat of flame has irreversibly discolored the logo. Looks like some sulfur pitting as well, so further measures would be fruitless.

Oh, it's usable. Just not pretty. You can manually season the bare iron parts to prevent rust, and cook with it to build more seasoning. Replating would be cost prohibitive, and nothing can be done about sulfur pitting. Perhaps not much in monetary value, but I'm guessing a sentimental one. I cook in my grandmother's sulfur pitted Griswold LBL #8 all the time.

Thanks for all your help. I'm assuming it can't be reconditioned and has no value.

I don't know about value, but I would use that skillet all day every day, especially since it is a Family Heirloom (even if it were valuable, you probably wouldn't want to sell it).

Back