• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Dream Biscuits (ATK)

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
These came out great on the first try. No cutting in cold fat, just warm heavy cream. The "Dream" comes from "drop" and "cream". I made a half batch, just to make sure I liked them, and accidentally used 1 tsp. salt instead of 3/4 tsp. Didn't seem to matter.

3 C. AP flour
4 tsp. sugar
1 Tbl. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 C. (16 oz.) heavy cream (36% butterfat)
3-4 Tbl. melted butter for brushing tops after baking (optional)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk or sift together dry ingredients in large bowl. Heat cream in microwave-safe measuring cup to just warm, 95-100°F, about a minute, stirring after 30 seconds (less if making half batch).

Add cream to dry ingredients and stir together until a fluffy dough is formed. I used my Danish Dough Whisk.

Spray a 1/4 cup measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray and use to scoop cupfuls of dough, dropping onto parchment paper spaced 2" apart. Gently reform any that lean over or are misshapen with fingers sprayed with a bit of the non-stick spray.

Bake for 10-14 minutes until golden brown, turning pan once halfway to insure even cooking. (Mine took 17 minutes.)

Yield: 12 biscuits
Serving size: 1 biscuit
Calories per serving: About 240

Back