Digital Thermometer

Hi Bruce, The skillet is a old unmarked gated piece, so I don't know who the maker is. It's one of my favorite users because of light weight, slightly taller sidewalls and super slick cooking surface.
As far as the thermometer goes, I don't think that it's the same as ones for people because of the much higher readings. Search infrared thermometer gun on Amazon and you will find some that are reasonably priced.

Am I missing something here?
ChuckP, do you work in the food industry, if not what do you use the thermometer for?

I do use one when grilling and smoking meat, but have never needed it for skillet cooking, just me.

For myself when the water droplets dance on the hot skillet surface the pan is ready for me, of just place your hand just above the surface to feel some heat.

Now I do agree that the temp is very important with cooking, but I have not burnt anything as of yet.

Tell me what I am missing out on?

But I do like a good thermometer, fact I have 19 antique thermometers hanging beside my desk here in the office.

I do like your skillet.

Last edited:
I'm retired from the construction/paving industry...haven't worked food service since high school.
The thermometer helps me cook a wider rage of things more accurately. For example, I will want a lower temp (325ish) for a grilled sandwich to make sure that the bread isn't too well done before the filling is warm and melted. Yesterday's smash burgers went on at 425 degrees for a good sear. I did okay without the thermometer but can produce much more consistent results with it. FYI I probably use my smokers more than anything during the summer months. YUM!

Sounds like you have it under control, that is a good thing. Now you are making me hungry.

So the wife learned something from me, she need tools just like I do. So she knows that I like a good grilled sandwich like the best of them. So she purchased a commercial panini press with ribbed plated made of cast iron, man the sandwiches come out great. Yea it has a temp setting, does make things easy. Now my burgers always go on a open hard wood charcoal fire, flip it once and off the fire raw the better.

I have been known to do the smoker in the winter at -10degs. I have a thermometer that has a prob and stays in the meat and a transmitter that I take back into the house to watch the temp. Don't want things getting over done.

A thermometer like you have would be nice, but one more thing that needs batteries. Then should make a rechargeable one if they do not have one now.

Happy cooking.

The reason I asked about your skillet was because I have a #7 round griddle with the same style handle on it. It too is gatemarked. Unfortunately, it was badly pitted when I got it, but I'm working on filling the pits with seasoning. It will take a while, but I'll smooth out the cooking surface eventually. Your skillet has got to be in the neighborhood of 140+ years old and it looks great. Ya just gotta love it.

I have similar IR Thermometer, temperature range -58ºF to +1000ºF. I use it for skillet cooking but also when I'm seasoning a CI piece in the outdoor gas grill. I don't remember the reason I originally bought it.

It's extremely useful when cooking on cast iron waffle irons. Get each side up to around 425 - 450, a little spray of butter-flavor Pam, and you're ready to go!

Back