• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Creamed Corn (Kentucky Kernels)

SeanD

I learned to make this a long time ago, from my Grandmother. Eastern KY. If you know the area you probably have eaten this.

Corn Either canned, frozen, or fresh off the cob . Off the cob is how I learned, but its more work than it should be. If you do cut it off the cob, I squeeze the cob into the corn pan. They call it corn milk. It makes it GOOD! Canned corn I would use 2 cans.

1 Can Condensed Milk, or Whole milk
2 table spoons of bacon grease, butter, or both. I like both.
salt, pepper to taste.
Sugar, a few pinches. 2 teaspoons I would say.

I smash the corn up with a wooden spoon, to milk it if Im using canned corn. It just makes it better in my book. Add bacon grease, butter, corn , and milk into a #11 or #12 skillet.
Heat over Medium heat til boiling and foaming up, stirring to keep from burning. Once boiling, lower heat, cook until semi thick, it will thicken more as it cools. You can try it and add what you think it needs....sugar, salt, ect.

I learned this recipe from Imogene and my Mother. They both showed me the ropes, lol....I lived in KY for 4 years. I have a pinto bean and corn bread recipe too! If you make this corn, youll love it if you like creamed corn.

Back