Chicken Fryer

RJ Ruchti

Picked this one up at an antique mall yesterday. No marking on it of any kind. Usually has something some place but this one is void of any markings. Has indications of an unmarked Wagner. The cast is thinner than normal so not real sure what it is. It had a Favorite lid with so it could be a favorite pan also? Not sure. Sorry for the bit of fuzzy photo. Some days it is hard to hold a camera still for photos. Lid is in the electro tank. Will post photos later.

SAM_2013.JPG SAM_2016.JPG

Last edited:
Doug I just read the article on Chown and Cunningham from the Canadian Cast Iron site. Very interesting and got me wondering in the fryer I posted could possibly have been made in Canada during the time trademarks were switching around?

Here are some better pictures of the Chicken Fryer and lid. The lid is definitely a Favorite in my opinion. Only marking on the bottom of the fryer is a small dimple at 6 o'clock and I don't think that is significant to identifying the maker.

Got the pictures on the computer but can't get them resized to where this software will accept them. Real PITA. So guess there won't be any pictures.

Here are some better pictures of the Chicken Fryer and lid. The lid is definitely a Favorite in my opinion. Only marking on the bottom of the fryer is a small dimple at 6 o'clock and I don't think that is significant to identifying the maker.

Got the pictures on the computer but can't get them resized to where this software will accept them. Real PITA. So guess there won't be any pictures.
Try emailing them to yourself. Works for me.

Will tr
You were able to successfully add photos to the original post. What changed?

Different camera, Went to a 35mm digital. Original was not the quality they should be. Needed faster shutter speed. Was doing something wrong before. Worked OK now. Sorry for the rant.

IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2979.JPG IMG_2982.JPG

Re: the Canadian cast iron page about Favorite trademarks. I think it's more to do with who held trademarks when than who made what. The pans shown with the diamond G and either PIQUA or C&C between FAVORITE and WARE don't look like anything else we see that we know came from Piqua, OH. So, in short, I don't see that your pan has any Canadian connection. Whether Favorite Piqua made totally unmarked pieces for whatever market channel (or perhaps a private label) or CHF did after they acquired the patterns isn't known.

Try emailing them to yourself. Works for me.
Won't send them to my yahoo email account. Wants to send it only to Google and they want to control my email, send them to some cloud, etc. Nope, don't go that route.

Thanks' Doug for clearing that up. From what I can find by comparison photos and the actual fryer, the fryer does not match up with Wagner, BS&R, or Lodge. Comes the closest to Volrath. With the lid being with it and the lid being Favorite, for now I am calling it an unmarked
Favorite Chicken Fryer.

Back