Can anyone tell me about my pan?

Dianne G

I just got this pan and realize it's the top of a two part set. I cannot find anything like it. It says it's "80"; it says Erie. But it also has patent numbers and other numbers on it, which I don't see in any other picture of a Griswold pan. The patent numbers are 1,554,360 above the Erie name and below it says pat. # 97,022. I can't seem to get the picture to fit on this thread.

The forum software won't allow unnecessarily large filesize images to be attached. Pinned topics at the top of most subforums explain workarounds.

The patent numbers appear on both the #80 and #90 double skillet set tops. The bottoms are deep skillets. They are seen in both bare iron and plated versions.

The markings like those on the #80 and #90 sets are ca. 1920s-1930s. Being smooth bottomed, more likely 1930s.

Mr. Doug D., thank you for all your helpful information. I have one more question....do the top and the bottom have to be from the same year? Do they have to be a set to be a collector item? I have seen tops and bottom sets going for lots of money. Are there any parameters, or do you only need a top and a bottom?

There's no way to determine the exact year of manufacture of a cast iron pan. The match to yours will also be marked 80 and Double Skillet Bottom. Both pieces would need to be unplated or plated to be considered a true match.

Back