Arrgh! Our 314 Waffle Iron Has a Hairline Crack! What to do? :-{O

AndrewL

18 February 2024
Hello all!
My previous experience with cast iron has been with skillets, which have provided many tasty meals.
Riding a wave of enthusiasm after successful and delicious use of a Wagner waffle iron (previously unused for decades) at a family cabin...followed by many experiments with recipes, we decided to invest in a waffle iron for home use. Eventually we found a Griswold 314/315/913 covered with decades of grime, but at a seemingly reasonable price.
My initial reservations were about the 913 BASE, but after gentle scrubbing it turns out to be the best (?) part, with perhaps 90+ percent of original japanning intact. The bottom edge would benefit from seasoning.
HOWEVER, close inspection (after grime removal) of the 314 paddle reveals a crescent-shaped hairline crack. I've seen photos "on an auction site" of similar paddles "missing" such crescents from their edges, so now do not know how to proceed.
Our intention is/was to use this iron for making waffles; not as "decor".
We wonder:
1) is there some way to repair this iron before the piece comes "loose"?
2) the paddles will need re-seasoning before use (but stripping looks un-neccesary); will the piece come loose when we "oven-season" the paddle?
3) I've seen reference on this site to seasoning "sealing" hairline cracks....is that a reasonable expectation in this case?
4) returning the iron to the seller might be an option (?).....but I've seen poor-condition bases _sell for_ big $$ on a popular auction site.
In summary....we'd really like to be able to re-season and use this iron for baking waffles for years to come. The base comes within 6 sheets of printer paper of resting flat on our glass-top range.
Photos are attached.
Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions regarding this matter! :)

Attachments

• 314_Crack-1wa.jpg
    314_Crack-1wa.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 314_Crack-2wa.jpg
    314_Crack-2wa.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 314_Crack-3wa.jpg
    314_Crack-3wa.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 314_Crack-4wa.jpg
    314_Crack-4wa.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 14
  • 913_Base-1w.jpg
    913_Base-1w.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 15
If you can return it for a refund, that's what I would do. You might pay more for another one later, but will be happier in the long run not having to go to the trouble and expense that will only make this a damaged repaired one.

You may be able to get a partial refund to make this one more reasonable price wise. Use it till you find a good one and use the one with the crack for decoration. I have a book that tells in detail how to repair cracks in cast iron but don't remember the name of the book right off.

Have you researched the high temperature epoxy bonding adhesives? There are several that can withstand temperatures up to 650 degrees F.
Masterbond, JB Weld, Loctite are a few that comes to mind. Some offer different colors such as black, grey, clear and amber. Might keep the piece from breaking off until you can find a replacement paddle. Just a thought. I personally have never tried any for cast iron repairs.

Ive used JB Weld twice on cast iron. One time was a #9 Wapak and the other time was my kitchen sink. Its from the 1800s, and had a pin hole sized hole in the basin, so I used JB, and its been 25 years and it still does not leak. The skillet had a small crack right by the handle, and I was afraid to use it. Its a wall hanger now, but I knew that going in. I think it would work basically work til you can buy another, or for a wall hanger it will work for sure.

I pick up extra waffle iron pieces when I find them and I have an extra 314 paddle if you want it. No charge. It would be nice to see it getting used again. I have not cleaned it since I never found a 315 to go with it so it has been pretty low on the cleaning priority list (especially since I hate cleaning waffle irons). Let me know - I am new here so I don't know the best way to work out shipping it to you.

Attachments

• IMG_9436.JPEG
    IMG_9436.JPEG
    256.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9438.JPEG
    IMG_9438.JPEG
    243.5 KB · Views: 6
Back