Sidney Hollow Ware #8, Wagner era

SteveT

Based on this link (www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php), it appears that my pan below was made by the Sidney Hollow Ware Co, sometime between 1891-1897, am I reading that correctly? If so, I'm amazed...this thing is remarkably light weight, and the cooking surface seems to be smooth as glass, once I remove the remaining crud (it's been in an Easy Off bath for 4-5 days).

I'm a bit concerned that the skillet may have been plated, based on (note silvery edge)
DSCF3998_zpsokd220su.jpg

DSCF3992_zpsolcmjibk.jpg

and
DSCF3993_zpszh7mhp5t.jpg

Is there anything to be concerned about here, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Great news, thanks for the quick feedback.

I'm enjoying converting the last of my unserviceable iron back to useful condition!

Steve

Now through a couple rounds of Crisco in the oven, ready for cooking!

Cooking surface:
DSCF3999_zpscqjj2gvg.jpg

Bottom:
DSCF4001_zpsvmggb6fp.jpg

Partially plated sides:
DSCF4002_zpshxvopdqx.jpg

and
DSCF4003_zpsdxo0zaar.jpg

What impact does the residual plating have on the value of the skillet? Certainly not my first concern, but curious. Seeing these pics makes me realize that I didn't wipe off the shortening as well as I thought, while seasoning.

Thanks,
Steve

Collectors prefer bare iron in EX condition to worn plating even if the pan itself is physically EX. Of course, finding plated pieces in like new condition is extremely rare.

Thanks, Doug. Pretty much what I assumed, but one never knows.

I'm anxious to cook with it and see what happens. I want to weigh this with the Wapak I bought last week and a 1990s Lodge to compare the masses. That may help to convince a friend of mine that she needs at least one CI skillet, as she sets up an apartment.

Steve

Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You cleaned it and returned it to use for as long time. Will they call you to donate to the smithsonian? Maybe not but you have a fine user.

Back