Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 10-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Nitty gritty details about Easy Off HD method??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMuse View Post
That stuff can be quite caustic. It is a better practice to neutralize it so nobody down the line (garbage men, landfill workers) comes into contact with the lye. I have usually just changed out my refrigerator box of baking soda when I clean a batch of cast iron. I put the whole bag into the sink and sprinkle baking soda over the cast iron and rinse at the same time. This leaves just a wet plastic bag for the trash. Not a chemical burn hazard.
Using baking soda, which is alkaline, seems counterintuitive to neutralize lye, also an alkali. More neutralization is occurring via just rinsing and diluting with plain water. Not to mention the lye won't hurt drain pipes, so you may get a little drain cleaning action. Just don't run the water hard so it splashes.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2016, 02:14 PM

If you're really worried about neutralizing it, use vinegar.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Site Admin

Although neutralizing a strong alkali with an acid sounds like a good idea, you can produce an exothermic (heat creating) reaction which may not be desirable, especially if on your skin. Dilution with lots of running water is the better choice.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Having a rough day and am almost brain dead (allergies acting up).

I neutralize my knife etching (acid) with baking soda.

I pour vinegar over the cast iron with the water running in the bag in the sink.

And I still have to drive home in after work.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 PM

So here is how the skillets look after 2 sprays of Easy Off and around 10 days. I used my SS dish scrubby to scrub them and rinsed them thoroughly outside with the hose down our french drain.

Unfortunately the big skillet still has thick black gunk in two places on the outside, so it's going to have to go in for a third round, but I think the little skillet looks ready for the oven, right?

Also, I've been rinsing outside into the french drain like I said, and then spraying down the surrounding grass. I still have the trash bag full of paper towels and goo and rubber gloves. Should I dump a bunch of baking soda all over that and then rinse it with water before putting it in the trash then? Someone said not to stick the nasty bag of lye straight in the trash incase someone else got ahold of it.

Also, once the pans are thoroughly rinsed off inside, should I give them another rinse inside? Sprinkle with baking soda just to be sure? Or is a thorough water rinse good to go for the next step? Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Here is my first post with Before pictures in them, although I kind of think it's hard to compare the before and after shots. http://www.castironcollector.com/for...ead.php?t=4015
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6830.jpg (64.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6834.jpg (69.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6831.jpg (66.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by JamieC; 10-24-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 10-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Site Admin

As noted above, baking soda is not a neutralizing solution here. Dilution with water remains your best option. Consider that when using it as actual oven cleaner, rinsing the sponge used to wipe internal oven surfaces with water in the kitchen sink would be a normal procedure. When you're ready to season them, washing with dish soap (preferably Dawn), rinsing, and drying well will be all that's necessary.

The remaining spots on the outside of the pan will probably not be affected by further treatment. Build up with no grease left in it has nothing for the lye to act upon. Your S/S scrubber is the best choice there.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Oh right! Sorry I missed the baking soda part. Okay no baking soda. I will just continue to thoroughly hose off with water. So those black spots that are left look like something that won't be helped by a 3rd lye treatment? I've attacked them with the scrubby, but I guess I'll try again with the scrubby if you don't think I should do a third lye spray.

So I should just hose down all the garbage bag/paper towels/goo stuff then, to dilute the lye before putting in the trash?

Thanks!

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post

The remaining spots on the outside of the pan will probably not be affected by further treatment. Build up with no grease left in it has nothing for the lye to act upon. Your S/S scrubber is the best choice there.
How do you know it's build up with no grease left? I take it you can tell from appearance?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Site Admin

Probably not to the first, and yes to the second question. To the third, it's been 10 days. If it was coming off with lye, it would have by now. You can give it another day and see if there's any change, but I doubt it.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 PM

Wouldn't electrolysis soften up those last crusty spots?

BTW - those are great looking pans!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 PM

The “crusty spots” are pure carbon which an e-tank won’t remove unless there is rust underneath them. Scrubbing the carbon off followed by vinegar is the best way to remove pure carbon.

Hilditch