WWSO 1058 damage evident after removing from lye

I'm guessing somebody went to town on this with a wire wheel. Lots of scratch marks and the smooth cooking surface comes off when scrubbing.

These pictures are after removing from the lye tank. It's been sitting for a few days while I decided what to do with it. Because I'm concerned about more metal flaking, I doubt anyone would want to cook on this. Nor would anyone likely want it.

Maybe a sacrificial anode? The sad thing is it's perfectly flat.

http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Wire-wheel-damage

1 and 2 look like damage from rust pitting. 3 looks like normal polishing mill marks. 3 and 4 look like casting voids. I still see a potential user here.

I have not seen a pan with the erosion of just parts of the cooking surface like your pan exhibits. I wonder if, at some time, the pan was left in some acid too long, maybe with a protective coating of old seasoning where the part not eaten away exists. A wire brush will not damage iron if used in a proper manner and would not do that to your pan. Very interesting but the whole story is still unknown how it got that way.

The depressions I thought were casting voids to. Prior to stripping, these were not evident. I read somewhere (don't recall where) that some foundrymen would sometimes fill some casting imperfections to get them by inspectors but that these come out when stripping and cleaning. Maybe I'm misremembering.

As far as rust pitting, I suppose that's possible but I saw no evidence of it. Perhaps the pan had rust removed, was reseasoned, used for a while and passed on.

What's so odd is that the surface was very smooth before cleaning and showed no apparent defects.

Oh well.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Thanks, Steve and Doug. It's a mystery. Definitely not a user.

Back