Wonderful Old Spider

Kris Dickey

I love this .. kinda like a mini wok, great for sauteing and I can bake in it too. Nothing sticks to the bottom.

4128c85a-4f00-47ff-96ad-3a84d73c744d_zpsc34d49e7.jpg~original

1aaebf2c-b933-4a84-8c87-56b2da11c036_zpsf2424c4f.jpg~original

And I make the best Cherry Cobbler using my grandmother's recipe ..

216727eb-29bb-491d-8c8b-4de9ffdd4bc2_zps0e5fa00b.jpg~original

So great to see one using an early pan and one that retains its old seasoning and age. I have a few spiders like yours Kris and can't tell you anything about them. I haven't cooked in them but have used one or two for serving dishes on the table. A good scrub to the bottom with solid crisco, coarse steel wool, and on a warm pan will clean the bottom up and keep it from rusting without removing any of its "history".

Thanks for the info. Hard to believe that it is still so functional. Using it just continues the history as I see it :icon_thumbsup:

I've been wanting one of these for a while and just found one last weekend for 10 bucks. The closest I could find in dating it was in the grey book 1840-1860.

Image Image

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Does anyone know what the lids look like for these?

Lids were probably not made for them, and if one was required, it was typically something makeshift from some other piece of kitchenware.

Is the bottom rounded inside & outer side too? I absolutely love mine. I read where these were used on an open stove hole (how else to explain) it would set down in and why the shape of the lip. Nice find for $10 !!!

Page 136 of the grey book suggests that there were lids for these but as you mention there may not have been any made for them just an inset for use with other lids.

Looks good Kris. I have long tried to keep the original seasoning/crud on early skillets since so many are a bit on the crude side of casting quality...but not all. If there is not too much buildup I'll just warm the pan and scrub hard with coarse steel wool and solid crisco which melts on the warm pan. Then wipe dry with a paper towel. After I use a pan and the inside is wiped out I wipe the greasy paper towel all over the bottom to add a small amount of oil to keep the bottom from being dry and rustable.

I have never met a spider skillet I didn't like. I have over ten cleaned up waiting for lids. Where did all the dutch oven lids go?

The spider skillets are easy to find, the lids are scarce. Any 9, 10, 11, 12,14 inch lids out there for sale?

Back