Why is one of my Lodge pans yellowish in color?

AlfredoJ

I have two (newer) Lodge skillets that I no longer use, now that I've discovered older vintage pans (Wagner Ware, BSR, and Griswold). I ended up sticking these Lodge pans in a bag in the garage. Recently I thought I might give them new life and strip them down using the EasyOff method, then re-season them using grapeseed oil. Here is a picture after only 2 oven seasonings. I followed the 15 min at 200, add oil and wipe down, then 15 min at 300, wipe down again, then 2 hours at 400, let cool down. The small pan looks nice and black, but the large one seems to have a yellow color to it. Is this normal? Did I do anything wrong? I did the same for both pans together at the same time. Is it because newer iron is different? Both pans are pretty newish (15 years old). Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Lodge skillets.png
    Lodge skillets.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
I can't speak as to why they look different, being that they both underwent the same process. But the bronze color of the larger pan is not unusual. Manual seasoning typically doesn't have the amount of carbon residue to turn the pan black like cooking will over time. Some collectors will jack the oven temp up really high in an attempt to prematurely darken the seasoning, but it's not a necessity to do so.

How high would one set the oven to? Just curious.

Just to add... After stripping and cleaning the large pan, I put it in a preheated 200-degree oven. When it came out there was flash rust on it (but not on the small pan). I added a lot of oil and used a paper towel to get the rust off. Is it possible that the bronze color has anything to do with any rust left behind?

Back