Who Likes Oddities of the Iron Nature? Cast Iron Deep Pit Bottom Pot ca. 1835 - 1850

Jeffrey R.

Cast Iron Pot ca. 1835 - 1850 This style has a deep inset pit bottom for stove top use, as in set down into the stove eye. Three part mold with the gate & 3 button stub legs.

Anyone is welcome to add Photos of Similar Pit Bottom Pots?

Barn Find, uncleaned
Cast Iron Deep Pit Bottom Pot ca. 1835 - 1850 by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Cast Iron Pot ca. 1835 - 1850 This style has a deep inset pit bottom for stove top use, as in set down into the stove eye. Three part mold with the gate & 3 button stub legs.

Cleaned, not seasoned.

Cleaned, not seasoned.

That is a neat looking old pot for sure. Back in the mid 60's I was with an organization that toured the JD foundry in Eastern Iowa. Saw the sand mould boxes being readied for the iron and the cast parts that resulted. Amazing how that could take a glob of cast iron that resembled nothing and make it look like a tractor part. That was modern compared to what was entailed to make a pot like this one.

That is a nice looking piece of history. Just think of the meals that were made in it..............wow!

(y)(y)

I am still wondering why, with all my pit bottom pieces that I have not found myself a nice old cook stove. I have seen some very nice ones, but never thought of getting one for myself. So I am planing my next kitchen, that's right open Rumford fireplace with a crane and early restored cook stove.

Back