West TN

VernonC

Hello and thanks for adding me to the forum. I am a new collector/user (more user than collector). But I like the older cast iron rather than the newer (of course). I acquired a skillet this past weekend that I have found that others had on this site, but still cannot find any more information about production, or symbol meanings...
It is a hammered no 5 skillet (no. 5 stamped on face side of handle) and on the back side of the handle there is a series of dots, 5, 3 then 1 with a space between ea set of dots. they make an arch around an Ampersand.
If anyone has any clues, please let me know. If I need to send pictures I can do that also.
the pour spouts resemble what is on a Chicago Foundry piece, but I cannot be for certain.
Thanks again for the add, and any help
Vernon

Attached are the photos. Thanks for any help

Vernon

Attachments

• DSC05899.jpg
    DSC05899.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05901.jpg
    DSC05901.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05900.jpg
    DSC05900.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
It does indeed look very similar, Bonnie. One distinctive feature that I notice is that the hanging loop on the handle (is that the correct term?) is pretty much the same on the underside as on the top.

Not CHF. Theirs have an 8 followed by the size number and a pattern letter at 6 o'clock on the bottom.

Back