Wagners

NashA

Hello!

This may be redundant to another thread so, sorry in advance.

I am a beginner collector+user of vintage cast iron, and I joined this site to find out a little bit about Wagner skillets.

I purchased a #6 Wagner skillet with the fancy "Wagner Ware Sidney -o-" at the top. This skillet came; what seems to be, stripped down to the bare iron. The cooking surface is pretty rough but not as rough as a pre-seasoned Lodge, and the rim of the pan appears to be polished and is smooth to the touch. Is this what I should expect from the as-cast finish?

I also have a "Long Life" skillet which is smooth from the cooking surface to the rim of the pan. Is this the polished finish found with an older Wagner?

Does anyone advise taking a wire wheel to the rough surface of the #6? Should I worry about it? The #6 works great and is starting to get nice a black with a decent non-stick cooking surface. But I do love the polished glassy surface of the "Long Life" skillet.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Something had to have happened to the Wagner, as any skillet marked with the stylized logo and "Sidney -O-" would have been polish ground at the foundry. Wagner made Long Life, too, and that surface is what the WWSO skillet would originally have been like.

Even "as-cast" finishes will perform adequately once a good seasoning has been built up on them. I'd leave the #6 as-is.

Back