Wagner Dutch Oven Pre-pattern Numbers

D_Madden

ok, I don't have a pic yet... just got it tonight at an auction and I took a chance on it because I thought I knew what it was despite the bottom being so crudded up there were no visible markings.

The lid is smooth inside (no basting drippers) and has the kind of odd shape like the turtle back roasters... but its a no. 8 dutch oven. lid has an 8 size marking inside, nothing on the outside. After some cleaning I've found a block 'wagner' and 'sidney' so far, so not stylized logo and no pattern numbers on either piece... and they appear to be a correct set top and bottom.

my question (pre pics) is a general -- when did wagner start putting pattern numbers on their pieces? That might help me date this.. I know the basting drippers showed up in the early 1920's... so this is before that.

any info is appreciated.

ok, here are some pics after getting most of the crud off the bottom... it appears to say: Wagner Ware Sidney.. (and I assume an 'O') but it isn't the 'stylized logo'. almost seems to be raised rather than incised... and badly worn down. But the size is deeply incised.

https://imgur.com/a/JELxO

Wagner started using catalog numbers in 1924 or 25. What appears to be raised lettering is just carbon buildup. It should also say Round Roaster above the #8 which it looks like it does. This piece is shown at the bottom of page 245 of the Blue Book except with a marked lid.
I have a #10 like the one shown in middle of the page with the knob handle and two #9 lids like yours (marked and unmarked) just waiting for the right pots to come along.

Based on the lid design and the TM, I would put it late teens to very early 1920s.

Back