Wagner Colonial Tea Kettle - Painted?

Pat H

I need HELP. I have a nice Wagner Colonial Tea Kettle which somebody (not me) painted black.....How can I get the paint off?

Lye will take off the paint. Some paints take a bit longer that others, so let it sit in a lye bath for a two days and check it.

Lye, only if it's iron. If it's aluminum, lye will dissolve the metal as well as the paint. Need to know which it is before advising further. Will need to protect the handle in either case.

Sorry I wasn't clear - It is Aluminum and painted black.....any idea on how to remove the paint safely. It is not in lye right now.....as I live in the Midwest and there is snow on the ground......

My Bad. Should have asked, but I never heard of painting an aluminum tea kettle.
Do not use oven cleaner, as it might have lye in the formula.

Some chemicals will make the aluminum have dark spots, or look dark all over.

There is a product called Aircraft Coating Remover. You can find it at a good auto body supply store. It is toxic, Read the directions.

I striped an old aluminum canoe years ago, worked great.

Like Doug wrote, "Will need to protect the handle in either case"

The task would be much easier if there weren't riveted-on handle and knob. Without those, a self-cleaning oven would be an easy fix, if it isn't VHT paint. Citri-Strip paint remover and the aircraft product mentioned are alternatives, although a lot depends on what actual kind of paint used. There may be some follow-up necessary if either product discolors the metal. The least toxic, but most labor-intensive, would be to try 0000 steel wool. Another thought might be Dawn Power Dissolver, if you can find it. It cautions against use on painted surfaces, but does not hurt aluminum, on which I have used it extensively.

Back