Unknown skillet

DWillie

Image Image
This is an oldie. Unpolished cooking area. Is it possible to find a maker and date for it?
Thanks.
Darien

I have been concentrating on collecting early skillets with some griddles included. So far I have had little luck in identifying the maker of unmarked pans. Once in a while you'll get a pan with some identifying feature such as the handle shape, pouring lip, etc. If you can match to a known (marked) piece or a catalog illustration (not too often as they are just illustrations, not photos) you can learn the maker. For the most part just enjoy a piece well over 100 years old and marvel at the quality and style.

That almost looks like a replica or recast, although that seems unlikely. Odd that it doesn't have the gate mark like all other old pieces like that I've seen, or that it wouldn't be polished.

Thanks for the interest.
There is a gate mark, but not like the narrow slit that most have. probably hard to see in my pics. It is fairly smooth, but not polished by machining. I wonder if this was produced before milling machines were in use. It had so much carbon on it, the 7 wasnt able to be seen.It is flat and no warps, and very light.
Its one of my favorites to be sure, as it doesnt stick hardly at all. Maybe I got lucky with the seasoning. LOL
Thanks for looking.
Darien

Earlier pieces exhibit what's called a "sprue" mark, which is typically a small, roundish area where the molten iron entered the mold, as opposed to a slit. "Sprue" and "gate" are terms which continue to be applied to the modern casting process.

Back