Today's Lesson

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
Unusual Griswold #10 Gem or Pop Over Pan 948 9 Hole Variation

Why this is not what the seller says it is:

1. The pattern number 948 is for the 11-cup popover pan. Griswold would have used a different number for a different configuration. Griswold made 15 known variations of the #10/948, but this is not one of them.
2. Piece is ergonomically unfeasible. A single finger hold handle would be both unwieldy and unsafe.
3. You can see where two cups and a handle were removed and the former attachment points ground and polished. This was in the past a not-uncommon way of retaining some usefulness of a damaged or broken piece of cast iron.

So, in summary, no, damage and alteration do not make a $35 piece into a $250 piece.

The pan has been relisted and was originally a $250 BIN and it was purchased. When the bidder found out what the pan actually was he, I think, was allowed to not pay for the pan. I made a similar one years ago from a pan with a crack in one corner cup and cut off the four corner cups and handles leaving a 7 cup popover. I also took a lot of time to make the modification barely visible so it looked as if it might have been a factory pan. I sold it for $35 and told him exactly what it was.

Back