Sticky skillet

VanReed

Eggs were starting to stick a little to my old cast skillet. I re-seasoned it with Crisco shortening, put it in the oven, 400 degrees for one hour. Now eggs get welded to it. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?
Thanks
Van

Not sure what caused your pan to go from non-stick to sticking, prompting you to apply a manual coat of seasoning. When pans are stripped to bare iron, and a coat of seasoning applied, they're still a good ways away from the non-stick of a well-used piece. When using a pan with just a base coat of seasoning, you have to use a little more butter or oil to keep things from sticking. Cooking bacon, sausage, and the like are good things which accelerate the build-up of a good slick layer of polymerized fat.

When you applied the Crisco, did you wipe it down really well before baking it? Putting on too thick a layer at once can leave the pan spotty and sticky. If trying to build a good seasoning layer manually, it needs to be multiple extremely thin coats individually baked.

Thanks Doug, the Crisco may have been to thick. There were little brown spots all around the pan. I have washed that off and am trying again with vegetable oil. It is in the oven now and I have wiped the excess oil off once. Maybe this time?
Thanks

Back