Seasoning Problem

FredW

I had a DO thrift store find. I stripped it in a lye tank for several days. Scrubbed it and it turned out clean. Then I seasoned it with crisco. At completion of the seasoning process, there appeared a silverish spot on the bottom inside as seen in the picture. After having restored many pieces prior with no such spotting occurring, I decided to strip it again and repeat the process - ending with the same type spot in the same place! I have no idea what the issue is but am confident that you more seasoned 😉 cast iron restorers will have some useful thoughts and suggestions. Much TIA!!Screenshot_20230421-161321_Photos.jpg

Possibly something called a slag inclusion, where a bit of an artifact of the smelting process didn't get skimmed off the molten iron and made it into the casting. Would think it shouldn't have passed QC. I have a Griswold skillet that appears to have a pencil lead diameter piece of aluminum or some non-ferrous metal embedded in the bottom.

Thanks for the response. Before I cleaned it up it looked like it had been used a good bit. Do you think it's safe to use? Also another bit of info is on the outside bottom is 5 QT, under that is made in USA and under that an A.

Back