Seasoning a NOS Lodge DO

KevinB

I've been looking for a DO for my son. Hit a few antique shops yesterday and all the old ones I saw were in really rough shape. The last place we stopped had a bunch of NOS Lodge. It was all from before they sold pre-seasoned stuff. The DO had a coupon in it to get a special cookbook from Lodge celebrating their 100th anniversary, so late 1990s I guess.

Is there anything different I need to do to start seasoning this? It did come with instructions, which are pretty weak.

Attachments

• DO.jpg
    DO.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12
Even from the 1950s, well before "Lodge Logic", Lodge catalogs noted their pans were "specially treated" but "ready to use" after just a washing with soap and water. Late 1960s catalogs even used the term "pre-seasoned", but still advised to do what we basically today consider a manual seasoning.

I suppose they would have to have something on it to keep it from rusting. This felt like it had something on it. It had a bit of rust in areas where it could have abraded, on the contact edge of the lid and on the bottom. It had the sticky feel of oil that had not been heated enough or had degraded. The instructions called for cleaning with soap, spreading shortening over it, heat to 300-350 for 30-60 minutes, pour out the excess grease and wipe with a paper towel. That would be better than nothing.

I'm working on the second coat now, and will give it a test drive baking bread in the next few days.

If I recall correctly they came with some sort of wax coating to prevent rusting. I came across a NOS Lodge pot not long ago, just scrubbed it down in the sink a couple of times and seasoned, it turned out great.

Back