Rust Spots after Storage

JRDavis

I am finding small rust spots on my cast iron that is stored or displayed. The seasoning overall looks good but still have these spots developing. I have been using Easy Beasy Cast Iron Seasoning and apply 3 coats. The pans that I cook in do not have this issue. They have become really dark and nonstick. Any Ideas on what may be happening with the non used iron?

Hi JRDavis,

A few things to think about.

3 coats of any "seasoning" is not a seasoned piece. It is more of a pre-seasoned piece, so you do not have the same protection.

Not sure of how you are storing your iron, basement, garage, V. displayed, hanging in the kitchen etc. the second part to this is where you live, high humidity, rainy, dry.

A lot of factors can play a part in your issue, but remember it still is iron and if the "seasoning" flakes, cracks, gets damp, it is going to get rust spots.

I might suggest that you season your iron with a few more coats with another oil, but it still iron. I am not going to say anything about what you are using for your seasoning because I know nothing about it. But I have found that using 2 different types of oil / fats during your seasoning makes a difference, at least for myself. I have never had any of your issues, yet.

You could try stripping one of your pieces and season it with another type of oil, just to see if you have an issue with your current choice.

A large part of my iron is hanging in my office, kitchen and basement. For most of the year my home is temp controlled, so very low humidity, yes even in my basement. The other thing is all my iron gets at least 5 coats of oil / seasoning before it goes into my home for display or use, just me liking the color after and the extra protection. Fact 99.5% of my iron is displayed and not used, eye candy.

Maybe someone else will offer some other ideas.

I have pans on display, and they get weird spots on them, but its just dirt, wipes right off. I use Pam on mine, just a little of it, then wipe it back off. Works for me.

Thanks for the advice. I live in south Alabama, high humidity. The iron i am having this problem with is stored and displayed in my garage or converted man cave. So far the problem is on 6 or 7 pieces. I have read Doug's article on seasonings and as you suggested also I will try another seasoning. Thanks for the help.

I would think a very thin layer of Pam will protect it from the humidity. Im in PA with semi lo humidity so your case may need a different approach.

Back