Ruined skillet with frozen hash browns

RJ Ruchti

Had a nice 7" skillet that working fine until put a handful. of frozen hasdh browns in yjt hot .Potstoe were sticking to thbottom og thr[as iosttly

Skillet went in the lye bath last evening. Took it out this morning and scrubbed with hot soap water steel wool. Put in the electrolysis tank. Removed and more steel wool and hot soapy water this afternoon. Rinsed in cold water, dired and put in a 200° oven for 10 min. Reset oven temp to 280 and when it reached that temp, reset to 365°. Light coat of soybean oil wiped real good with an old T-shirt and back in the oven. Will leave for an hour and shut the oven off and let it cool down. Will give it another seasoning before I use it again. Hopefully it will hold this time around. My biggest issue is sticky spots ? To much oil is my guess. New to this so have a ton to learn and the school of hard knocks is the best teacher.

Yes, I made mistakes when I knew nothing about the care and maintenance of cast iron. Experience is a good teacher and I'm improving. One thing I learned is that although you can have too much oil, you can never really have too little oil in the seasoning process - as long as every surface has some oil. Seasoning happens at a molecular level where oil contacts the iron. Don't need a lot of oil for that. Oil doesn't "soak" in since cast iron is non-porous.

2 days in the Lye bath and overnight in electrolysis and it came out bare metal. Re-seasoned and made sure no oil was left after a good wiping with an old T-shirt. Looks much better this time around. Grifdfle had a couple sticky places that wasn't changing so it go the same treatment. First seasoning coat went on last night. Going to keep the heat down more this time around when I use it and see how it works out.

Have both in full use with no issues. Using less heat and more cooling oil. Still do the bacon in the microwave though. Going to try chicken in the 12" fry pan for supper this evening.

A little trick cooking bacon in a ci skillet, start with a cold or low heat skillet and bring up the heat as the bacon is cooking making it's own greese.
That way you can save the good bacon grease and cook with it and or do a seasoning round to your skillet with some.

Yes, controlling your heat is a win win.

Enjoy.

Fried a couple chicken thighs in the skillet last evening. Came out good and no sticking. Finished up the WI yesterday also with second seasoning. Ready to try it out now along with the corn bread pan.

Back