Removing wood handles from WI

JamesE

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove wood handles from a Favorite Piqua ware WI. It is pretty rusty and I plan on electrolysis. The handles are in good shape and was planning on removing before the bath. I assume removing them is the best way. Any help would be appricated.

On the Favorites I have seen, they appear to be held in place with metal pins. I would assume they could be backed out (carefully) with a center punch or dull nail to the point they could be grasped by pliers and eased out.

If you don't want to risk damage, an alternative would be to hang the paddles so that everything up to the handles is submerged, and then deal with the remainder with vinegar and wire brush. Wrap the handles with masking tape while you do that.

If you don't remove the handles, you'll have to bake your seasoning on over a stove burner instead of the oven. Hopefully, you'll be able to just get them off without too much trouble.

Thank you Doug. I was unsure of the pins. The top of the pin is rounded and underneath they are oval shaped and appear to be flared. I will try the dull punch and easily try and get them to move. Being rusty, would it hurt and try a very small amount of WD-40 around them hoping they might come out easier? I'm sure using a lot might hurt the wood. Thanks again for your knowledge.

I doubt the WD-40 would hurt the wood. The pins were obviously made to go in easily, but without much thought to ever having to remove. Proceed with caution, and go to plan B if it looks like they don't want to move.

Thank you both so much. They looked like they would be tough to remove. I will definitely go to plan B. I'll try the vinager and wire brush on the hard parts. I assume a diluted vinegar bath would hurt the wood if in the solution too long? Or possibly submerged with the handles out of the solution? Thanks again for all the help

I did a toy Wagner WI w/o removing the handles. Soaked in 50/50 vinegar with the ferrules just above the surface. Masked the handles off with blue painter's tape and steelwooled the ferrules. On yours you could do about the same except then spray full strength vinegar on the handle attachments, let sit for 10 minutes and then S/S wire brush.

That's what I'll do! Thank you so much for the info and a wonderful site. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you in the future. Keep up the great work!

Back