Re-season or not to re-season?

RandyR

OK, I really got into this about 8mo. ago. A neighbor had a Lodge 10SK that had sat outside for months and was rusty. I cleaned the rust off as best I could, truth is there's lots of rust under the seasoning, and I mean lots.

Now, I have used this pan nearly daily for the last 8mo. with a metal spatula and it has built up a finish that is absolutely non stick! the middle area that sits over the stoves burner is nearly smooth as glass.

Well, now that I know what I know about lye baths and electrolysis tanks, it bugs me. I know I could refinish it so much better, but the finish it has, it's where it needs to be!

Question is....

Do y'all think leaving it as is, the rust under the finish will continue to eat away at the iron? Or will it have been stopped by the liberal oiling it has had from me?

I'd take a picture, but it's busy with oven fried chicken for the kids dinner at the moment.

Rust is oxidation, so if you've seasoned it and it's sealed with polymerized fats, then no oxygen can get to the iron to further oxidize it.

Rust is oxidation, so if you've seasoned it and it's sealed with polymerized fats, then no oxygen can get to the iron to further oxidize it.

Of course!:shootself: duh, why didn't I put more thought into this.

Thanks John.:icon_thumbsup:

Back