Question about Recast and types of marks found on them.

DLChandler

My question is about small dimple like marks on the bottom of at least 2 unknown maker, otherwise unknown Dutch ovens. Here is one of them. Could this be an indicator of recast. Not a old fashioned true gatemark......but also not a side gate casting either by the looks of it. It is also very heavy, thick bottom, and wall thickness of the sides varies quite a bit from 2.5mm in some to almost 5mm in others. Also curious about the hole in the helper tab too. No letters, dots, or other marks of any kind, even after E-tank. Traces of swirl and consistent marks on the sides indicating it was ground at factory. Thanks group for hearing maybe dumb questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-11 161230.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-11 161230.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 19
Probably just a defect. Wapaks are known for their flaws. Im not sure what brand this is, but to me it looks like a Wagner recast. I have a Wapak #14 with what looks like a staple molded into it.

Hmm....It's right in the dead center, and is a really pronounced nub, a section of it is folded a tiny amount over, with a small depression around it on one side. Like fingertip print from sweeping out the mouth of the mold. Upon looking closer at this DO it really does not have evidence of "side gate" trail around the edge like wagner/lodge/and Renfrow, and a bunch of known chinese modern pieces. The tabs, and all but one section of the lip show no signs of any grinding. Another reason I think that blurb could be *the* pour hole from a recast mold. Previously I had thought this was a Korean piece....and it might be......but it isn't matching up to any other pieces I've been able to find with any marks. I've seen one other DO in my area with the same nub, same shape, but "ribbon" patterned.

I do appreciate the input though. Could just be a defect and I'm imagining things.

Back