Question about dots

I don't recall where, but I remember a post here about an unmarked skillet with 3 dots on the underside of the handle. Apparently, they are unknown as to the maker. They are to me.

I saw a #3 sized unmarked skillet with a smooth bottom Sunday that only had 3 dots arranged in I guess a triangle.

These didn't look like they were cast but rather punched or stamped into the bottom. This morning I notice that our #8 Wagner Ware Sidney -O- Stylized Logo, High with a flat bottom has a single dot stamped into the underside of the handle at the body.
http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Dots-on-underside-of-skillet-handle

The unmarked #3 without even a #3 with the 3 dots on it was well made and looked like it could be Wagner. The 3 dots are in the same place the single is on the #8 Wagner we have. Again, I failed to take a picture of the #3.

Thoughts?

All marks you see in cast iron pieces are cast in. In the case of the Wagner skillet, the mark could have been made for some quality control reason, but in the pattern, not the piece itself. The dots could also be used as pattern identifiers instead of numbers or letters. Perhaps on high volume Wagner pieces there were more patterns required than alphabet letters, so there may have been, for example, two 1058N patterns, one with a dot and another without.

Thanks, Doug.

Okay, that makes sense. In any case, I didn't think it would happen after cooling.

The piece was was flat and otherwise in excellent shape. There was an unmarked hammered piece but the hammering looked a little crude. Both were painted decoratively on the cooking surface by a crafter. The hammered one was also a #3.

I didn't feel much like paying $25 for either. Perhaps it's worth it for the unmarked hammered. I was unsure so I left them and I doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Too much?

Back