Pumpkin bread!

Mike F

Did a test run in my new lodge loaf pans and the loaves came out much better than in my aluminum non stick pans. The edges came out with a brown semi-crust that was moist like the rest of the loaf but just a little chewy. Perfect consistency for pumpkin bread.

I did not pre-heat the pans. Just poured the batter and into the oven they went. In my haste I forgot to grease them. No major issues as the loaves (almost) popped right out with only a small amount of sticking on the bottoms. Clean up was a breeze.

If any of you are curious about these they work great. Highly recommended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/qW86Sv

Beautiful! Now a gotta get a loaf pan! My wish list just keeps getting longer. Ha! Maybe I can pick one at the factory store in a few weeks.

I was curious about this, too, so I started with no change and was going to see how things came out so that I could measure this. To my surprise they came out perfectly. This means that I may have been overcooking the bread in my aluminum pans.

Also, the aluminum pan dimensions are slightly larger than the iron, and their bottoms are not uniformly flat, which could have also contributed to the different edges that I'm able to get from the iron.

Interesting. I found my glass pans took a bit longer than my steel ones. In any case when the bread starts to pull away from the sides of the pan about 1 mm it is done to perfection to me. This has worked with breads as well as muffins and gems with any type of pan. It works with popovers too but it can be hard to see.

Hilditch

Hilditch that makes a lot of sense to me and I am going to try that starting with my next batch of bread.

In terms of popovers/dutch babies I have enough batches under my belt now to be able to use color as an accurate measure.

Last edited:
I hope to keep my glass bread pans for a long time, but must confess those Lodge loaf pans are very attractive. Since an old one isn't likely to drop by my house, I'll keep the Lodge in mind. You can't fault the results Mike got with his.

Tom great looking pumpkin bread. Your new pans got me back thinking of getting a bread pan. Just recently I've done some breads in the skillet and have been baking other things in CI and like the way they turn out. The odds of me finding a old Griswold bread pan on the cheap may take awhile:) I think I may pick a a Lodge or similar one for the time being.

I remember looking at some a while back on line and would like to look a them in hand. The other one that caught my eye was made by Camp Chef. I wonder which one is smoother on the inside?

Steve,

IDK about smoother but the Lodge one is made in USA while the Camp Chef is not, if that matters to you.

Back