Please help identify this skillet

MDoran

I recently got this #8 skillet, which I have cleaned and seasoned. I have a lot to learn and would very much appreciate any help that can be provided.

The bottom says:
10 1/2 INCH SKILLET
MADE IN U.S.A.

It seems that the periods in U.S.A. make it unusual. It is a bit rough on the outside, kind of like modern Lodges.

Should I post the 5 photos separately?

The article titled "Identifying Unmarked Iron" has the clues you need for ID-ing your skillet. Look under the heading of Wagner Manufacturing Co .- Sidney, OH.
I have 1 other unmarked Wagner and I thought there were similarities, but then the roughness and periods in U.S.A. didn't seem right. Do you feel pretty confident that it is in fact an unmarked Wagner? If so do you have any idea what time frame?

Thank you for your input!

The "MADE IN USA" (or U.S.A.) designation was added to working patterns sometime in the 1960s. Apparently, updating the master patterns for all the sizes and then creating multiple new working patterns from them was more onerous (and expensive) than simply stamping the additional markings into existing (aluminum) working patterns. Since other sizes are seen with both USA and U.S.A., it's apparently just the result of more than one person working on the task, and management not considering the inconsistency to be a problem. This pan could have been sold labeled either Wagner or Griswold. The overall roughness is an indication of how far cost-cutting had gone in the industry at the time.

Thank you for the info! It is a real shame how much lower the finish is on this skillet compared to the others that I have.

I already had a Wagner Ware #6 skillet and just recently got a Wagner Ware #8 skillet and Unmarked Wagner #5 skillet. Those all are much nicer than the one in my photos. The walls are thinner and lighter as well.

It is interesting to me how the handle is slightly different in the mystery pan than my other Wagners. I suppose they may be a decade or two older.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The "made in USA" was added in the mid 60s (?) and by then Wagner had sold the company.

I have several unbranded Wagners and only one says made in USA. It's rough inside and out.

Back